1/24/2008

Chapter 27: Beautiful Girls

I will admit, it is difficult to be in the dating game when you have children. Now, granted, mine were 16 and 10, so it wasn’t so hard to leave the house. I feel for the women with younger ones and no built-in babysitter who would always have to find someone to watch their child. But having two girls also makes you more leery to bring knights around them. I had been successful at this for nearly 8 years.

­Magnum and I had a discussion about when to get our children involved in our relationship. Though my girls would take it just fine, we decided that it was not a good idea to get his son involved because of the impending divorce. Little boys take divorce a little harder than girls do. It’s harder for a boy to see his dad with another woman other than mom.

My oldest was a teenager who had actually encouraged her mother to go out and date. She had asked me several years ago why I didn’t have a boyfriend. I told her the truth ~ that I didn’t want to bring strange men around my daughters or become one of those women who went to the Laundromat and came home with a new “daddy” every week.

The fact that I didn’t have a boyfriend turned into an obsession when she turned about 15. She then began blaming herself and her sister for me “not being happy”. I told her I was perfectly content being abstinent and that I was a role model for her. She straight up told me that she had no intentions of having sex anytime soon because she could see what it did to her half-sister, cousin, aunties and friends around her. Her sister and cousin had kids before they even graduated high school and lived in the ghetto on welfare.

No comments: